Sunday, January 11, 2009

Pink fairy armadillo

I got quite a bit done yesterday, though I'm a little sick of sanding boxes. I did get to watch my roommates argue about moral philosophy for a few hours.

Art
Goal for the week 9hrs (I have my doubts I will reach it)
Today
sand yet more boxes
work on the dragon

Animal
The pink fairy armadillo (Chlamyphorus truncatus) is the smallest species of armadillo at only 3.5 to 4.5 inches long, but do look a bit like they were cut short and their back legs moved forward. This endangered mammal comes from central Argentina and tend to live in dry grasslands and deserts. They have serious front claws and spend most of their time burrowing, they can actually bury themselves in seconds when threatened. They are the only armadillo with a dorsal shell that is completely separated from the body, they do have an armored rump though that is fused to their pelvis. They may be short lived as captive individuals have only made it about 4 years. While they are endangered there are no organized efforts to save the species, sadly no one loves tiny mole armadillos.

No comments:

Post a Comment