Monday, March 2, 2009

Galapagos damsel

I did not quite finish the boxes this weekend but I am nearly done. I also found out this weekend that 2 of my large pieces at Cinema Gallery have sold and the gallery is going to expect some new work soon. I've got some old stuff I can tide them over with but I should probably push the new set higher up on my priorities.

Art
goal for the week 19.75 hrs
today 
work on ideas for new fine art pieces
sand boxes

Animal

The Galapagos damsel (Azurina eupalama) was a 6 inch damsel that lived in the reefs around the Galapagos and Cocos islands. It was a planktivore and in turn it and a fish in a similar niche Chromis atrilobata were an important source of food for the blue-footed booby. It went extinct in 1982 due to warming of the water as an effect of El Nino. The warming water eliminated the plankton production around the islands for a year and the fish being a planktivore starved. The last sightings of the Galapagos damsel were in 1983 and the fish is now thought to be extinct. Chromis atrilobata survived as it feeds on a greater variety of prey and has a larger range.

No comments:

Post a Comment