Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Southern Cassowary

I received a Zeraphine cd that I ordered from Russia today. One of the postal services along the way had actually punched a hole in the package to look at the contents.

Art
goal for the week 19hrs
still working on the sphinx

Animal 

I've had a few people ask me what a cassowary was since talking about having one guard an MDF. I'm kind of confused by this as I thought cassowaries were charismatic well known animals. So, I'll go with the Southern Cassowary (Casuarius casuarius) as it is the largest and most iconic cassowary of the three current species. They are the second heaviest bird and the largest Asian bird. While they are quite dangerous birds and there are many known attacks by captive cassowaries the bit about them disemboweling intruders was not very likely. It's possible that they could disembowel someone with a kick it has never been recorded happening. Despite this people have been keeping captive cassowaries for food and quills for a long time. Their call is very low being one of the lowest calls among birds. They can eat several fruits that are poisonous to other animals.  They also have quite a bit of mythology but that will probably be a separate entry at some point.


No comments:

Post a Comment