Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Knobbed Argonaut


I tested some of the silicone last night. I found that the kicker had done something odd and I was concerned about it still curing. To test it I ended up making a mold of some turkey vertebrae I had sitting around. I'm sure I can find a use for copies of those.

Art
add a coat of silicone to the sphinx

Animal

The knobbed argonaut (Argonauta nodosa) is not a type of nautilus but a type of octopus that also has a shell that the female swims around in. The paper thin shell is actually an egg case that only females of this species create. They display extreme sexual dimorphism males are under 1 inch long, while females can exceed 4 inches. They live in the open ocean in the southern hemisphere and occur most frequently around Australia. There shells are highly prized by collectors as they are rare and fragile.

No comments:

Post a Comment